Just as Christians are adopted into the family of God, scripture is clear that God desires His children to care for orphans. There are many ways to care for orphans of the world and one is through adoption.
"Adoption is the method by law to establish the legal and social relationship of parents and children between persons who are not related by birth with the mutual rights and obligations that exist between children and their birth parents."
(Source: Louisiana Department of Children and Families 2011)
TYPES OF ADOPTION
U.S. Foster Care Adoption
- There are an estimated 500,000 children in foster care in the United States, and approximately 135,000 of these children are available for adoption.
- Children vary in age and have been placed in foster care , at no fault of their own, for a number of reasons including neglect, abuse, and abandonment.
- Most of these dear children have endured tremendous pain and need a family of their own to love and support them with the unconditional love of our Savior.
- The adoption of a child from the U.S. foster care system usually occurs through a state's child welfare agency or a private foster care agency.
- In domestic adoption, the birth parents have chosen to place the child for adoption.
- Domestic adoption is facilitated by a licensed adoption agency or private attorney that specializes in local or U.S. adoptions.
- Adoption through an agency is a regulated and supervised process and the agency takes care of most of the details.
- International adoptions involve children in foreign countries who live in an orphanage or are in foster care within that country.
- International adoption is generally facilitated through an agency with expertise in adoption through specific countries.
- International adoption is governed by both U.S. law and the laws of the child's birth country.
- The laws on international adoption vary widely from country to country and can often change. It is therefore important to work with an experienced agency with a track record of successful adoptions from a given country.